Bathroom remodelling can be a tedious process, but an expertly remodelled bathroom will provide years of comfort and pleasure. Most homeowners will be surprised by how quick, easy, and less expensive, it is to remodel a small bathroom. Before you start working on this project, you must consider several ways to ensure that every element in your small bathroom has a purpose and is functional to create a comfortable space-saving sanctuary.
Here are some tips to guide you when remodelling your small bathroom:
1. Create a plan before you start remodelling
Hiring professional designers may seem like a risky and expensive move, especially if you are working on a budget. However, know that it is a very good investment that will pay off in the long run. With professional help, you can both work out on a plan that will guarantee that your budget, timeline, and design are set realistically.
2. Do the necessary preparations
Once you have the plan, make sure that you have these items handy before making your bathroom off-limits temporarily:
- A detailed plan (approved by an experienced contractor).
- A building permit for electrical works and plumbing (permits are handled by contractors, but it is your job to double-check and make sure it is taken care of).
- A signed contract with the specific details on what work to be done, timeline to be followed, and materials to be used.
Keep in mind that deliveries for bathroom components may take up to 6-8 weeks, so it is best if you order everything ahead of time. This includes vanity, paint, light fixtures, new tub, sink, hardware, and/or tiles.
3. Add storage
Rather than stuffing your small bathroom with large cabinets, display your textured and colourful towels in open shelving, adding warmth and colour to your bathroom and eliminating the need for bulky furniture pieces. Other storage ideas include:
- A colourful storage ladder adds personality to space and ideal for keeping containers.
- A floating shelf is a great way to add storage in a stylish way.
- A wooden crate can be drilled to the wall, placed on the ground, or stacked for accessible storage.
4. Tile alternatives
Yes, it can be nice to look at when your bathroom has similar tiles from the floor up to the ceiling. However, consider alternatives for tile replacements like board and batten, beadboard, and reclaimed wood panels that can make your bathroom look more fashionable than before. Even though wood can be high-maintenance, it can give a more comforting and warmer vibe than tiles.
5. Plan your palette
Make sure that you have a planned palette in mind before painting your bathroom. Painting accent colours to the wall takes time, so this must be carefully thought of before proceeding with the project. Neutral colours make your small bathroom look aesthetically more appealing and calmer. Here are some tips to help you when choosing colour palettes for your bathroom:
- White is always associated with cleanliness.
- Textures and patterns in neutral tones add depth and creativity.
- For the base theme of your bathroom, utilize a neutral colour palette.
Make sure that you are prepared when remodelling your bathroom. It is recommended to hire professionals to complete the job because this should not be done by yourself without sufficient knowledge. You will not want to make expensive errors and regret in the long run.
If you are looking for bathroom renovation services in Toronto, get in touch with us to see how we can help.